// chuck cogan
-----------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/chuck-cogan
-----------------------------

inky
Teq
Teq

Post by inky » Wed 15 Mar, 2006 10:20 am

Glad to hear you kept the Rhodes; i love the sounds you conjure out of that baby! (that beautiful compressed sound on Roll On is sublime!!)
And i suspect you won't regret getting a decent clock to keep all those naughty digits in aligned.

ian k
Ahn
Ahn

Post by ian k » Thu 20 Apr, 2006 1:51 pm

I'm looking for another opinion on how Mark's production styles have changed over the last 10-15 years. It's for a project I'm doing for college. Can anyone help?

PM me if you prefer not to air your views online :wink:

Cheers
Ian

raggbleep

?

Post by raggbleep » Fri 21 Apr, 2006 6:20 pm

Whot you ona bowt ya dik-ead ?

R.BLEEP :rr:

darlo
Ehn
Ehn

Post by darlo » Fri 21 Apr, 2006 6:37 pm

Very constructive.

Ian do you want a sort of tecccy slant or a listener slant??

I'll pm something over the weekend is that ok?

darlo

ian k
Ahn
Ahn

Post by ian k » Mon 24 Apr, 2006 9:43 am

It has to be about audio engineering so teccy would be good

Ta

ian k
Ahn
Ahn

Post by ian k » Mon 24 Apr, 2006 9:56 am

Ok put it this way.. if you listen to New School Science then listen to Time out of Mind... it don't sound the same. What I need to know is why! I need an opinion from anyone who knows a bit about producing or engineering. Difficult to answer I know but thats what I've got to do.

You get mi?

darlo
Ehn
Ehn

Post by darlo » Mon 24 Apr, 2006 6:46 pm

I know naff all about producing....
I think using new school is hard as tom worked on it and they were looking for a particular sound.

I was gonna compare The Aguar (from in order to dance 5) vs Change is what we need.

Are you sort of looking for....

"x track achived that spaced sound by using a spring reverb routed through blah pahzer and through x delay"???

or "X track has been over-compressed and needed to be done this way to get the fullest sound?"

Really tuff this one me thinks.

mattbirdfootball
Tebworth Massive

Post by mattbirdfootball » Mon 24 Apr, 2006 8:34 pm

if you listen to New School Science then listen to Time out of Mind... it don't sound the same.
I think Mark finally got his shit together.
:D

ian k
Ahn
Ahn

Post by ian k » Tue 25 Apr, 2006 10:30 am

darlo wrote: I was gonna compare The Aguar (from in order to dance 5) vs Change is what we need.
Yeah something like that is what I'm after.

It doesn't have to be too technical so don't worry about that its more about how production styles may (or may not) have changed.

I asked a bloke who is a producer down in London what he thought, I played him some old stuff and some new stuff. He said things like - "the Jedi Knights stuff now sounds a bit dated, it sounds they were having lots of fun reversing samples and things like that which was harder to do then than it is now. These days using Logic and the EXS24 it is a lot easier to do those kind of effects. Triggering and processing samples was more tricky to do then than it is now. Also on Time out of Mind there are actual songs and not just beats and effects so the approach to making the track is different. Rather than just focussing on the beat and building the track from that, the focus is on the vocal or the melody" (like on Roll On or Paz or something).

Anything you can think of along those lines would be great.

mark p
Troubleman
Troubleman

Post by mark p » Wed 26 Apr, 2006 1:28 pm

I reckon it was about the same amount of effort to reverse a sample, just one button press!! i think even my casio fz1 had a reverse function.
But yeah some things are easier but also that leads into a reason why so much music nowadays is lacking vibes as you can do so much now that you dick about for days and end up over complicating everything and stripping out the soul. Some of those old samplers were fast to work on when you got your head into them, at the moment im trying to come up with a way of working that echos the old styles of production but trying to utilise the best of the new stuff that you can do.
Another big change was that up to the jediknights album i used a kawai q80 sequencer to program and arrange everything so instead of looking at tracks on a screen the arrangement was more in your head, which is why mpcs and sp12's are good you listen to whats happening instead of looking at it.
I think growing up with those toys have helped my transition to computers.
Asfor troubleman tracks like strike hard and change is waht they need definately started out as drum tracks then i added music to them which is definately how i used to work, tracks like paz and roll are just completely different styles of music that are approached in another way, they are not about just groove especially paz they are songs. Although with roll on that was drums first (playing to a click and the vocal) then keys then bass last but it was all live players.
Hope im helping not confusing
Mark

ian k
Ahn
Ahn

Post by ian k » Wed 26 Apr, 2006 5:01 pm

Thanks... The problem with doing this assignment is I've got to back up anything I put with examples or quotes so all thats a big help. I should have probably picked a more clear cut subject to write about but what the hell.

Darlo let me know if you think of anything at all to put about those two tracks.

Ian

darlo
Ehn
Ehn

Post by darlo » Wed 26 Apr, 2006 10:36 pm

When is the deadline? This is harder than I thought.
:(

ian k
Ahn
Ahn

Post by ian k » Thu 27 Apr, 2006 12:25 pm

Thanks for all your efforts people I really appreciate it!

Its got to be done by 30th May.