Music production techniques

Moderator: chuckcogan

ian k
Ahn
Ahn

Production

Post by ian k » Mon 09 Jan, 2006 4:29 pm

Mark - here's a question for you:
How would you sum up how your production styles have changed over the last 15 years?
Thanks
Ian

darlo
Ehn
Ehn

Post by darlo » Mon 09 Jan, 2006 5:36 pm

Tut tut Ian, we have a *new* forum for this.... :lol:

mark p
Troubleman
Troubleman

Post by mark p » Mon 09 Jan, 2006 6:35 pm

When i started out i didnt know what the hell i was doing and i still dont!!!!
I dont think they have changed at all, the equipment has changed, for the past 4 or 5 years ive been enjoying the freedom that computers have bought but also battleing against them, ie for when i started using macs for audio the sound was shit and i had to find ways of making stuff sound fat and warm as the samplers i used to use had a great sound, doing it all internally allows great control but then you have to mindfull that you can tweek away and forget about the track so its been a love hate relationship.
Im happy now with the sound i can get but its taken a long time. Using sequencers and drum machines and samplers that had limitations was a good lesson (less is more) too many people get carried away with software and at the end of the day its the ideas that count or you have to have something to express in the first place. With my move to oz ive sort of stripped down my set up and gone back to basics.
Dont really know if im talking sense anymore its 4 in the morning!!
That a tricky question for me to answer as for me i dont see myself doing anything different than i used to, my mind set is the same, there are always things to learn and challenges with making music and thats what i do just try and do the nest i can with what i have.
Hope that makes sense??
Feel free to ask more questions as it may promt me to come up with some answers or define what im on about (what ya on about ya dick'ed)!!!!!!! :lol:

mark p
Troubleman
Troubleman

Post by mark p » Mon 09 Jan, 2006 6:37 pm

try and do the nest i can???!!! birds nests?? where do they come into it, no birds in the studio at the moment, theres fruit bats flying round out side though they are mental!!!

ian k
Ahn
Ahn

Post by ian k » Mon 09 Jan, 2006 9:26 pm

Sorry darlo - must remember my message board etiquette in future :wink:

Mark thanks for the reply - another thing I was going to ask was what was that valve desk you used in the presshouse studio?

I remember those fruit bats in Australia - there were trees full of the buggers in Rockhampton! Wasn't much else there though apart from a few blokes with mullets and checked shirts. But they had nice steaks there and you could get Bundaberg rum and coke on draught!

darlo
Ehn
Ehn

Post by darlo » Tue 10 Jan, 2006 12:47 am

ian k wrote:Sorry darlo - must remember my message board etiquette in future :wink:
Mate tell me to SFTU without you we wouldn't be here! :lol:

mark p
Troubleman
Troubleman

Post by mark p » Tue 10 Jan, 2006 3:34 pm

It was aTLaudio 32 channel valve mixing desk, Which i loved but had to leave it behind due to money and heat problems, it was nice having the desk in the winter in the uk but over here forget it.
The desk i have now is a Bc2 Amek radio broadcast desk from the 80s, Carl Craigs just bought one also and he reckons is having the best mixdowns hes ever had!! And i have to say although i havent mixed anything yet the desk sound amazing, even better than the tla and you can pick them up for 3grand and the tlaudio desk was 20 grand!! The mic pres are neve designed and so is the output stage, it also has built in compression on the groups and outputs, they were modular when you ordered them so you could choose what you wanted in them.

EndlessNight
Teq
Teq

Post by EndlessNight » Wed 11 Jan, 2006 12:03 pm

[quote="mark p"]try and do the nest i can???!!! birds nests??

You've been drinking again, haven't you, Troubleman.... ? :D

(i know i have, after a Tues night out in NYC partying....)

mista guest

Post by mista guest » Wed 11 Jan, 2006 5:12 pm

....you're a couple of cheeky rascals !

:wink:

EndlessNight
Teq
Teq

Post by EndlessNight » Sat 21 Jan, 2006 2:46 pm

Hey, Mista Guest-ring that cow bell baby!!!
(hope PA is good , btw....)

Best,
Endless

novayshun

Re: Production

Post by novayshun » Sun 22 Jan, 2006 10:46 am

ian k wrote:Mark - here's a question for you:
How would you sum up how your production styles have changed over the last 15 years?
Thanks
Ian
evolution :lol:

mista guest

Post by mista guest » Sun 22 Jan, 2006 7:21 pm

EndlessNight.
Thanks very much, and I hope you eventually make it over to Europe too.
You won't be dissapointed :wink:!

mista g

:)

EndlessNight
Teq
Teq

Post by EndlessNight » Sat 04 Feb, 2006 9:20 pm

Mista G- Thanks. I hope to also, I know I will not be disappointed !

Br,
en

ian k
Ahn
Ahn

Post by ian k » Tue 14 Mar, 2006 12:13 pm

mark p wrote:
With my move to oz ive sort of stripped down my set up and gone back to basics.
You mentioned the Amek desk but what other stuff do you use in your new studio, is it all mainly on the Mac with a few bits of outboard gear?

Have you kept any old skool gear from way back for your new studio set-up?

I know its boring but I need to know!
Cheers
Ian

mark p
Troubleman
Troubleman

Post by mark p » Tue 14 Mar, 2006 1:24 pm

Outboard wise ive got a Joe Meek, 4 channel Transient designer, TLAudio Valve distortion, A Ursa Major Star gate, a Beringer Denoiser (actually pretty good) then loads of crusty guitar pedals, lots of Electro Harmonics pedals(Small stone, Electric Mistress, Memory man, Holy grail) Roland 301 echo, Echoplex(thing thats on my head on troubleman pics with me in the sea, GBS spring reverb use it on loads of stuff, A few other spring reverbs.
Shipped my fav synths - Mini moog, Arp Odessey, Ems Synthi Suitcase with keyboard, Arp pro soloist, Found a mad snyth out here called a Balwin syntha sound which looks and sound wicked it has a built in spring reverb. Had to sell a few synths due to space issues, still have my Rhodes though.
Sold the solina but sampled every note in every possible configuration. Im looking to get a Urei 1176 Limiter soon, Dave had one and im missing it!! Borrowing one from a guy i met out here, Also found a guy out here that has a collection of old mics so im going to be hiring them as and when i need them, Also met a old jazzer that played on alot of ozzy jazz and film/tv music out here, he plays percussion drums and vibes(result) marimba. Sorted for next Harmonic 33 music for tv and film!!
I basically shipped all the stuff that i use alot, stripped it back, Oh and just as was feeling slightly sad about selling a few of my synths dave brinkworth found me a mpc 60 for 50 quid, took the edge of my pain!! Anyway with the money i get from my synths im going to treat myself to something ive always wanted, either a prophet 5 or a oberheim or a arp 2600 or a modular system. But that can wait, got enough toys for now.
Im also looking into buying a big ben clock to run my motu outputs, apparently makes them sound much better, but they cost over a grand for basically a box that sends out digits, dosent even make a noise!! But you know the basics are important, ive also cut down on plug ins and stuff, trying to get away from everything in the computer, i only use a few now mainly the uad card universal audio ones.
Enough knob talk you boring f$cker.