Acoustic sessions

Music production techniques

Moderator: chuckcogan

darlo
Ehn
Ehn

Post by darlo » Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:49 pm

mista guest wrote:Darlo.

Most of my set-up right now, comprises of software based synths and sample libraries, and also my HD25's, and my little silver UA25 soundcard. I'm running Nuendo 3.2 which I bought earlier in the summer (earlier version), for about 2 grand dollars (if my memory serves me well), which, I purchased as I'm also into film and moving image, and thought it would be a great idea at that time to really cover both areas, with the one application.

All I'm really looking for (I think), is a little desk that can deal with about sixteen channels, and also houses a few added FX and stuff; stuff like limiters, compressors and the likes.

The reason I asked about a mixer, is cause I've seen plenty of little 'sixteen' tracks (which double internally), that also have their own custom made little flight cases, and with the road ahead this year for me, I really need to know if this is something I really should be looking at purchasing ?

To close, I want to try and get my LP finished for (hopefully) the end of this summer. The 'Angel' wants to work this year, but is willing to let me stay at home and do all the cooking, and also let me get my rekkid finished as well. Will buying a mixer, really help me to polish up my well needed productions, at least to get them to a point (mastered wise), where I can give them to a studio to work their magic on ?

Mista, Am I misssing something???

You have no outboard gear....
So I'm gonna assume that when you mean mixer, you mean a portable daw? like this....Aw16G

You plan to sequence your sounds on the MAC on whatever application??? and you want to record and mix the output on the daw???

Seems a bit like overkill for me or am I talking utter tosh....

mista guest

Post by mista guest » Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:16 pm

Yeah, just like that little Yamaha, will do absolutely fine.
The conclusion I think I've reached within myself is that I feel I'm really struggling with software mixing.
I've really pushed the boat out to get my head around it in Nuendo, but just like software programming of synth's and samplers, I think I've reached my natural feeling that I'm just one of those people that needs to be able to feel those little knobs and sliders in my fingers (ahem :oops:).

Overkill, maybe - to yourself, Darlo, but to me, it's like trying to type, but with no fingers !

D'you know what I mean ?

darlo
Ehn
Ehn

Post by darlo » Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:25 pm

So why don't you get a control surface then.....?

I have one for Sonar. I use the Roland SI-24 It's a bit long in the tooth now but it does the job...

mista guest

Post by mista guest » Wed 11 Jan, 2006 6:06 am

Well, darlo, I have to take my hat off to you.
http://www.zzounds.com/productreview--EVOUC33E is exactly what I'm looking for.
I didn't even know these things existed out there.
This one's pretty cheap, but i want to try something relatively simple first (to see how I get on with it), before parting with a grand or so, and then moving on to one of the big guns.
Thanks again for this.

:)

darlo
Ehn
Ehn

Post by darlo » Wed 11 Jan, 2006 8:55 am

Hold it sister!!!! :lol:

2 things

1 try and go to a music store to see if you can see the thing in action in the setup you want.

2. while you are there look at this baby BEHBCF2000 it might be more your thing....

Check em both out before parting with cash.

Aint no one else got any advice for Mista????

mista guest

Post by mista guest » Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:26 am

Darlo, it's exactly what I'm looking for, sister :wink: !

1. Read the item description on zzounds, my good man.

2. Trust me, when I tell you, this is something I need.

3. I'm heading back to the states on January 24th (most likely), and shopping over there, ain't quite what it's like in the UK, as a their return policy (especially with zzounds), is second to none - none of this "err, we're not taking that back, just because you don't like it", crap; and b zzounds will not be beat on price on anything ! Even if you do see something, somewhere else cheaper - they'll either match it, or beat it !

Truuuuuuuuuuuuust meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, and more importantly, trust yourself, in that you done a good job with guest ! !

Thanx again !

:lol:

ian k
Ahn
Ahn

PLUG

Post by ian k » Sat 14 Jan, 2006 5:57 pm

By the way the acoustic tracks were all written by John Clarke and are for a soundtrack to a local independent film called Condemned Man.
The finished soundtrack will be produced by John and me and engineered and mixed by me!! Filming is due to start this year subject to funding.
Ian