Time Machine continues....

Music production techniques

Moderator: chuckcogan

darlo
Ehn
Ehn

Time Machine continues....

Post by darlo » Thu 05 Jan, 2006 2:07 pm

mark p wrote:It was chopped in a exs24(internal Logic Audio Sampler), i dont use recycle as ii prefer to do it manually as you get to know the break and hear the good snares,kicks ect, you have to have patients but ive been chopping beats for years and im pretty quick nowadays + i actually like doing it,its part of the process for me. Not dissing recycle as im sure its handy but you would have to go through and adjust start and end points anyway. There are other products that chop stuff for you i saw Steve spacek chopping using Phatmatic which looks cool.
Once the beat is chopped i usually layer elements depending on whats needed ie if the kick lacks weight id layer a heavy kick ect. I think with that break i layered hats,kick and Ride Cymbal. Compression and eq are big factors, i usually split the break up onto different chanels of the desk and treat each part with eq compression and envelopes or gates.
Ive been collecting breaks for years and constantly hunt for new ones so i can usually find something to layer that fits the vibe.
Another thing to watch when sampling from records especially if you are cranking eq and compression into the beat is record rumble, i usually cut 10/20 hertz on kicks, use a analizer to see whats happening in the low end and filter out low end that isnt needed but be careful as you dont ant to lose all of the low frequencys on snares.
Another good thing is to a/b what you have against something you like i used to use the militia by gang star as the drums are sick on that or some early mobb deep which often made me want to give up when i played what i had. Now adays check Jaydee's production he is the king of the beats as far as im concerned.
Timing wise is a whole a other mission, Mpc are amazing and Emu Sp12's but i find i can get the feel i want in logic, you can basically get a good sound from most things if you know what you want and practise. At the moment im playing most of the stuff in live and moving bits that are out.
Hope that helps, its hard to explain some of it, but feel free to ask stuff, i maybe abit slack from time to time just keep reminding me.
cheers Mark
First of all thanks muchly for this Mark,

I'm sure the last thing you want is, gezzas pestering "How do you blah..." as you are trying to finish you next LP, thanks.

I use a chep version of a slicer called Beatcreater by zero x. Do you mean the start and end points of each sclice or the whole loop?. I then export as rex to use in stylus RMX (not sure if its cut out for beats 160+ though).

One last question I promise. Do you keep the break as it is played or do you completely reconstruct the break so it sounds quite different to the original.

Thanks again

Darlo

chuckcogan
Akzinor
Akzinor

Re: Time Machine continues....

Post by chuckcogan » Thu 05 Jan, 2006 3:39 pm

darlo wrote:One last question I promise. Do you keep the break as it is played or do you completely reconstruct the break so it sounds quite different to the original.
i can only speak for myself here...
i usually reconstruct the breaks/beats, makes it more personal....
i know it may sound weird seeing as i use something that someone else have made in the first place heheheh
but it feels more like I have made something new from the old so to speak :D
hope you get what i mean heheh :D

but you could always try to layer the Original break underneath you own reconstruction of it....
can get a cool sound from that :D
peace & respect
// chuck cogan
-----------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/chuck-cogan
-----------------------------

darlo
Ehn
Ehn

Post by darlo » Thu 05 Jan, 2006 6:18 pm

I've got NI's Battery 2 on order might try some choppage over the weekend.

I'm trying to reconstruct loops at the moment and listening to a lot of DnB.
I recognise where the original break comes from and I then think shit.. how the hell have the done it.

So I get the break to try and see how and it's its say 3 or 4 bars long, chop it up and then import and then nothing... it's like a mental block. The breaks midi file is sprawled out a massive area on the piano roll and too big to manipulate.

Do you guys work to a max length of bars to make manipulation easy???

Hope i'm makin' sense here.

darlo
Ehn
Ehn

Post by darlo » Thu 05 Jan, 2006 10:13 pm

mark p wrote:Yeah start and end points. Most of the of the time i construct a new pattern out of the seperate sounds, With time machine the pattern was more 2 step originally with snares on the 2 and 4. There are no rules, my biggest tip is to really listen to drummers and learn from them, when you understand what a drummer is doing it can really inspire you to make interesting patterns, check Bernard Perdie, Idris Mohammad, Clive stubblefield, Earl Palmer, John Bonham, for starters. Some people may say i dont want to sound like a drummer i want a anti drummer sound ie mashed up mad edits but i still say check some feel and soul first then get crazy!!

darlo
Ehn
Ehn

Asked before

Post by darlo » Fri 06 Jan, 2006 6:20 pm

mark p wrote:On a lighter note my gear arrived and records late last week so i will be able to make music again after this week!! I wired up my speakers today and listened to my new mixing desk and i was so excited i felt like i had taken an e!! Its been hard not having my gear ive been going crazy. :shock: :D
but I thought I would lump it in this thread.

Do you use Logic solely for MIDI to control any hardware MIDI gear? or will you channel any audio from hardware through your new desk and back into Logic?

Hope that made sense???

darlo
Ehn
Ehn

Post by darlo » Tue 10 Jan, 2006 7:55 am

darlo wrote:I've got NI's Battery 2 on order might try some choppage over the weekend.

I'm trying to reconstruct loops at the moment and listening to a lot of DnB.
I recognise where the original break comes from and I then think shit.. how the hell have the done it.

So I get the break to try and see how and it's its say 3 or 4 bars long, chop it up and then import and then nothing... it's like a mental block. The breaks midi file is sprawled out a massive area on the piano roll and too big to manipulate.

Do you guys work to a max length of bars to make manipulation easy???

Hope i'm makin' sense here.

anyone?.... dust yes/no... dust anyone..... dust....