Moderator: chuckcogan

hayhook
Ehn
Ehn

CD bonus tracks? "Hidden Tracks"

Post by hayhook » Tue 15 May, 2007 12:46 am

WHY WHY WHY

Can we all agree that it is now officially time to STOP
putting "bonus" tracks at the end of 5, 10, 15 mintues of silence after the supposed last track on the album?
If you don't want your track heard don't bury it after an irritating silent "pause", just don't include it. If you do want it heard, include it and give it a track number.

cd's are no longer a novelty and bonus tracks are only bonuses if they aren't available on a different format.

done rant.

blastik
Mosh
Mosh

Post by blastik » Tue 15 May, 2007 12:56 am

hahhaa...oh man, Hayhook, I completely agree. Me and a friend were just discussing this over the weekend. Its like, you pop the cd in the player, see that the album is 75 minutes long...nice length for any album. But then discover that twenty minutes is dedicated to silence, only so the listener can have the pleasure of hearing a three minute song that shouldn't be released anywhere anyway.
Out of curiosity, which CD caused you to begin this rant?

thewalker
Mosh
Mosh

Post by thewalker » Tue 15 May, 2007 2:38 am

heh heh heh heh

what did cause such anger?

i agree totally, the first two times this was done was pretty cool, all times after wards.......annoying.

i have a Hoodlum Priest cd with the hidden track between two other tracks, thats pretty damn cool, i only found it because i rewound back through the track beyond the beginning to find something, then suddenly realized i had never heard this song before....to listen to it you have to rewind back the seven minute length of the hidden track with out going past the begining to the end of the previous track. it seems to be in some kind of spacer you often see counting down a couple of seconds between tracks on some cd players, probably breaks some format rules by using it.

wonder what the first release with such hidden tracks was?

hayhook
Ehn
Ehn

Post by hayhook » Tue 15 May, 2007 3:57 am

autechre and kid 606 went so far as to "hide" tracks before track 1
you had to hit rewind after the cd started playing (cd player not on a computer) to hear them.

I realized "bonus" tracks when trying to listen to "pleasure little treasure" on Music for the Masses at a party, it was on vinyl, and hence, wasn't on the album....

I've just been trying to load my cd's into my ipod and keep running into 10, 21, 13 minute-long final tracks, (made up of two tracks with a butt load of silence) and I only want the track or the two tracks, but not all the unexplained silence, not to have to fast-forward or hit next to continue with my music listening.... so have to take the track to sound forge and edit out the silence etc. a lot of work for something that is supposed to be a "bonus"

sybarite's new album, deee-lite's dewdrops in the garden, plaid's rest proof clockwork, countless others...

grrrrrrr!

by the way 28 weeks later is really good.
I "man screamed" a couple of times during it. Good stuff.

blastik
Mosh
Mosh

Post by blastik » Tue 15 May, 2007 5:09 am

yeah, I can think of all types who have pulled that crap...Bent, Beck...the list is endless. Doesn't seem to happen much anymore....maybe because of bitter bastards writing maniacal rants on the interweb? :D

chuckcogan
Akzinor
Akzinor

Post by chuckcogan » Tue 15 May, 2007 9:08 am

LOL :D
now this is one SERIOUS problem hahahahahhahaah :wink:

"dewdrops in the garden"....great album btw :D
peace & respect
// chuck cogan
-----------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/chuck-cogan
-----------------------------

hayhook
Ehn
Ehn

Post by hayhook » Tue 15 May, 2007 5:23 pm

supposedly the Beatles were the first to have a hidden track
(though on vinyl, on the record, just not listed on the notes...)

here's a list of "all" the bastard tracks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_al ... dden_track

Steve Sole
Akzinor
Akzinor

Post by Steve Sole » Tue 15 May, 2007 8:55 pm

LOL :D LOL
FFS....

Surely you'se are not serious :P

I think you are :D

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
:lol: