Linda Perhacs question & Diane Hildebrand

Shenanigans, Jiba jaba, Frolics

Moderator: chuckcogan

Upaka
Teq
Teq

Linda Perhacs question & Diane Hildebrand

Post by Upaka » Sat 31 Mar, 2007 8:31 pm

I recently obtained Ms. Perhac's Parallelogram lp, reissued on cd by The Wild Places. And the sound quality on the cd version is terrible, whatever noise reduction software they used left a lot of digital artifacts, and even clips some of the vocals. It's especially bad on Chimacum Rain, which is a shame, it's such a lovely song. Was wondering if any of the vinyl pressings (I know there's a few) sound any better.

Also, I picked up an album by Diane Hildebrand called 'Early Morning Blues and Greens' which has a similar vibe to Parallelograms, although it doesn't sound quite the same. It was originally out in '69, but there's a cd reissue. She kinda sounds like a cross between Vashti Bunyan and Grace Slick, and the album is quite good. It's a cool folk, psych, rock hybrid, and most of the songs are kinda dark and introspective. 'There's a Coming Together' in particular, would sound right at home on Feel the Spirit. Anybody else have any recommendations for similar psych/folk material?

mark p
Troubleman
Troubleman

Post by mark p » Mon 02 Apr, 2007 4:18 am

Thats funny man, I paid alot of money for a original vinyl and then i saw that The Wild Places had got the orig master tapes after already pressing it once from a vinyl copy. So i bought a cd as i thought it would be nice to have a version mastered from the tapes + i wanted the masters for my comp, i got the cd and it sounded terrible, they used cedar denoising, basically must of over used it. I wrote an email to the guy showing my concern's and i dont think he was happy at my comments as he didnt reply. I was starting to think maybe it was just me being overly anal about sound but i couldnt believe how terrible it sounded and on such a amazing album, the version on my comp was taken from vinyl with a technics sp10 and sme tone arm. I had to sit there and wave draw out the clicks by hand! I dont see why people have to get rid of hiss, i like hiss, i even put hiss in my tracks on purpose. Id imagine the vinyl re issue will be the same. My orig vinyl sounds amazing, allthough Linda apparently hated the sound of it and loves the new cd. Maybe she just needs a decent deck and preamp?!
Trust me if i could get the orig masters and get John dent at loud mastering to re master it, it would sound incredible.

Thanks for the suggestions ill check them out.

Heres a few folky Funky Psych Singersongwriter whatever things -

Country living - Home grown - Kkua records
Grey today - Woody Simmons - Oregon mountins - Deep river records
Uphill peace of mind - Carol grimes - decca - (more funky than folky)
Love song - Lani Hall - Sun down lady - a&m
Stormbringer - John and beverley Martyn - Island
Cold back on me - Wendy Waldman - Gypsy symphony - WB
He moves me - Cheryl ernst - Always beginning - Bell
First Utterance - Comus - reissued on Earmark (freaky dark folk with beautiful moments) Theres a track called the herald on there that i was going to put on feel the spirit but was too long to fit)
Kathy smith 2 - Stormy forest
Wendy and Bonnie - genesis - Fontana (if you like the free design this may appeal)
Brother John - Copperfields - The dillards - Elektra (Album is country but this track has a diff flavour)
Conceptions of reality 2 - Womb - Dot records (rest of album is more psych and experimental)
Righteous life - Sergio Mendes & Brazil 66 - Stillness - A&M (Was on comp couldnt get clearance)
Another Monday album - John Renbourne - (Sick guitar playing on this album)
Wool album on Abc records.
The joys of life - Karen beth - Decca (Some dont like her voice but i really like a couple of tracks on this album)
Earmark also re issued a C.Frank albums thats really nice.
Thers a nice comp of Rodriguez called at his best that you can pick up for cheap in oz that has the killer Sugar man on it and some other nice tracks and another album called cold facts thats wicked.
The Rationals on Crewe - Amazing skits on this album and track called Ha Ha
The United states of america on Columbia - Really like The american meteaphysical circus track and Cloud song on this album. If you like free design or Broadcasts first album or Stereolab this is worth a listen.
Earth anthem - The Turtles present the battle of the bands - White whale records - (sort of reminds me of stones roses or spaceman 3).
Rose - 50ft Hose - Limelight (Wicked tripped outness)

These are just some suggestions please listen if poss and dont buy blind as some of these albums are vinyl only and can be pricey, none of these should be really expensive though, but if you see them 2nd hand anywhere give them a flick.

Some of these suggestions are more singer songwriter style and not really folky, but i hate genre names anyway.
Got to be carefull of the Folk police!

Ill post some more soon.

mark p
Troubleman
Troubleman

Post by mark p » Mon 02 Apr, 2007 4:21 am

This gives me an idea - maybe i should set up an feel the spirit myspace or something and try and get some folk info sharing going?
Mark

thewalker
Mosh
Mosh

Post by thewalker » Mon 02 Apr, 2007 4:58 am

good idea mark, except maybe not myspace, it does my head in and i cant see anything good about the navigation, the only thing it really does well is link to other artists, or people who like the same artists.

free is good though, maybe a simple blog or MOG page would be better.....

thewalker
Mosh
Mosh

Post by thewalker » Mon 02 Apr, 2007 5:02 am

SUGARMAN.

damn i love that tune, did you like the free association cover version Mark?

and for modern psychedelic folk i cant get past Bert Jansch - The Black Swan.both the trippy title track and the beth Orton co-produced "Katie Cruel"

http://www.discogs.com/release/861566

Upaka
Teq
Teq

Post by Upaka » Tue 03 Apr, 2007 4:52 pm

Hey yeah, I was all excited about it, and then I put the cd on and was like, what the hell did they do to this record? And what really gets me is that you can hear how good it must've sounded before those people mucked it up. I actually thought about mailing my copy back to Wild Places as a protest, but figured that might be kinda crazy. Saw in the liner notes, turns out they didn’t even use the original master tapes, they used an old stereo reel to reel tape that someone dubbed off the masters for Linda back in ‘70. Which isn't quite the same thing. So the real master tapes are still floating around somewhere, you just have to find out who has em.

I dig hiss too, and when you filter it out on old recordings you lose a lot of other things as well. Especially with acoustic instruments, which are rather prevalent on, oh, I don't know, maybe Parallelograms?

Thanks a billion for the list, that should keep me busy for a while, cause I’ve never listened to any of them. Been quite into that sound recently, despite not knowing what to call it, and having to watch out for those damned sandal-wearing Folk police. But hey, one good thing about the Folk police is that they’re not very scary. Worst thing they’ll do is maybe sing an allegorical song obliquely criticizing you, while they play the hammered dulcimer. Which could be kind of annoying, but not like the Punk police, who’ll like flip your car.