Moderator: chuckcogan

chuckcogan
Akzinor
Akzinor

your most expensive record purchase?

Post by chuckcogan » Fri 30 Mar, 2007 3:48 pm

your most expensive record purchase?

pretty straight forward question i guess :D
so here is a follow up question....where does your money limit goes when it comes to a record?

im not 100% sure which of my records have cost me the most
think this might be it:
Sunburst Band, The - Until The End Of Time
bought it new from the label and had Dave Lee sign it with a personal message to me :D
the record it self wasnt that much really...
but since its 4xLP in a very sturdy box it was the postage that made it digg deep in my wallet
was around £36 if im not misstaken

my limit goes somewhere around that £40 mark i think
unless its some multi box or somthing
peace & respect
// chuck cogan
-----------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/chuck-cogan

Steve Sole
Akzinor
Akzinor

Post by Steve Sole » Fri 30 Mar, 2007 4:29 pm

Pulusha - Isolation 12" in mint nick - I'm not gonna tell the world how much I paid for that rekkid - ever!
:oops:
be a force for peace

chuckcogan
Akzinor
Akzinor

Post by chuckcogan » Fri 30 Mar, 2007 4:37 pm

Pulusha - Isolation 12" in mint nick - I'm not gonna tell the world how much I paid for that rekkid - ever!
:oops:
hahahaha....why not man :D
i wont look down on you for doshing up barrels & barrels of cash for that one :D

got that meself in 97 when i was down in copenhagen :D
along with a bunch of other goodies :D
damn...thats 10 years ago :shock: :shock:
peace & respect
// chuck cogan

Steve Sole
Akzinor
Akzinor

Post by Steve Sole » Fri 30 Mar, 2007 5:00 pm

Well, I actually bought it about six months ago, from a very nice person in England, and it cost me about 60 quid (Sterling).
I'm not proud of it, but I just wanted that rekkid so much!
I've also been keeping my eye on this:

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?label= ... ch+Records

and the little shit that owns it, wil not come down in price for me one bit. I'm ready to strangle him. He's just been really greedy, and he's also had this up for sale for about six months now, and refuses to budge an inch. I reckon I'd go to maybe ???? for this, but I'm not sure.

I'd love to own this rekkid. If I get this, then there's really no more for me after.
be a force for peace

chuckcogan
Akzinor
Akzinor

Post by chuckcogan » Fri 30 Mar, 2007 5:19 pm

shite......€300 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
that record is NOT worth that kinda cash in my eyes & ears
its good....but €300 NOOO WAY :lol: :lol: :lol:

was it the vinyl or CD you got for £60?
peace & respect
// chuck cogan

Steve Sole
Akzinor
Akzinor

Post by Steve Sole » Fri 30 Mar, 2007 5:26 pm

Vinyl, and in the most amasing condition I could have ever hoped for. I swear man, it's like it's still brand new. Funny thing is but, with Isolation being as it is, I honestly think it's better to get records like that (ambient rekkids) on CD. There's too much crackling & pop on the vinyl releases, and it kind of spoils the mood when you're 4 or 5 minutes into part one and you hear little crackles now and then. But, I do love it all the same.
I think the reason I'm after Salinas so much, is really because it is one of my favorite records of that time. I absolutely love that record. The first time I heard it was way, way back on the Laurent Garnier XMIX, and ever since then, I've been looking for it on the label he played it from (Happy Beach). It actually wasn't till last year that I found out there were only 300, and it was one sided too. I would just love that record! There's so many more I'd gladly do without (and have), but that one little bugger means a lot to me, and the wee shit won't budge with it.
be a force for peace

hayhook
Ehn
Ehn

Post by hayhook » Fri 30 Mar, 2007 6:08 pm

I paid 30$ for the blech I cassette

the regular amounts for some box sets (but you get 4 - 6 cds so it doesn't seem like som much....

darlo
Ehn
Ehn

Post by darlo » Fri 30 Mar, 2007 7:12 pm

HEADZ II A+B cost me £25 each, small fry compared to you guys.

This has led me to a rather perverse way of thinking and apologies for this in advance.

If I can't get a record new, I would rather Torrent the thing, than buy second hand as the artist/group are gonna see bugger all of that money. I refuse to pay mega bucks.

Wrong I know :cry:

Steve Sole
Akzinor
Akzinor

Post by Steve Sole » Fri 30 Mar, 2007 7:50 pm

Hi Darlo.
Well off course, that's one way of looking at it, and you are off course completely right in that opinion, but another way would be to think that when a album, single, DVD, whatever leaves it's first original owner, then it's pretty much in open territory from there on; that's where the fun may well begin (so to speak).
I used to collect all those limited edition twelves from the likes of Depeche Mode, Frankie, Pet Shop Boys (way back when they were good), and I used to always think that they would, one day be worth an absolute fortune in ten or fifteen years down the line - whatever! BUT, now, and I'll use the specific example of the rare Depeche live series of twelves that had a single on one side, and then maybe three lives tracks on the flip - I think it was something life Get The Balance Right, and the following two or three releases were all in the same vein, and now they're worth absolute pittens! I was SO sure they would be worth a fortune some day, and how wrong I was.
I guess my point is, it really boils down to how available a release is, and also how good the music is that's on it!. I've found that if an artist is more renound throughout the ages, than let's say someone who just has a single or two that's really popular, then they stand a better chance of their material being more sought after.
Actually, that's a lot of shite, cause the Happy Beach record listed by me at the top of this link was done by someone who only had one big record, and on a very limited run too. So who knows!
be a force for peace

blastik
Mosh
Mosh

Post by blastik » Fri 30 Mar, 2007 10:52 pm

I spent 50 bucks on Plaid's Mbuki Mvuki LP before Trainer came out, and learned to never drop money like that again as it inevitably gets re-released at some point. I spent 30 bucks on Meat Beat Manifesto's Suck Hard, but that was worth every penny. I can tell stories about some of the money I made on ebay that would amaze and astound you. I sold one of the original copies of Twoism for 1,600 dollars about six months before it got re-released. Shit, did that feel fine! Some dude bought a Clash record for 350 bucks as well. Ahh, the halcyon days of ebay. There's a sucker born every minute, let me tell ya....

Steve Sole
Akzinor
Akzinor

Post by Steve Sole » Sat 31 Mar, 2007 12:01 am

It would appear that it would be your good self, Mr. Blastik who would have the demeanor of a little pitbull, hungry for it's dinner :wink:!
'for every one, who may not be able to see, there's always another, who can'.
be a force for peace

blastik
Mosh
Mosh

Post by blastik » Sat 31 Mar, 2007 12:23 am

point taken, Stevie my son. Was it your gullible ass who bought the Clash record off of me? :)
What is this Salinas record anyway? What's it sound like?

thewalker
Mosh
Mosh

Post by thewalker » Sat 31 Mar, 2007 12:32 am

and has it got any thing to do with this:

Solina (The Ascension) (11:04)

off this:

http://www.discogs.com/release/4064

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Steve Sole
Akzinor
Akzinor

Post by Steve Sole » Sat 31 Mar, 2007 12:34 am

LOL, no it wasn't me who parted with a week's wages for a Clash album!
I just think shit like that's far too easy, and it's been my own personal experience that that kind of shenanigans always, always comes back to haunt you at some point in time, and it should too!
Christ, I bought a brand new electric toothbrush today, and I had to take it back a few hours after, cause I just couldn't bring myself to spend $100 on an item like that - especially when I've got two unopened (normal one's) in the cabinet.
Anyway.
Salinas is on this mix:
viewtopic.php?t=707
The link is well gone, but if you'd like to hear it, I'd be more than happy to post it again for you.
Salinas is one of my favorite, favorite movers & grovers!
be a force for peace

blastik
Mosh
Mosh

Post by blastik » Sat 31 Mar, 2007 1:06 am

yeah, I don't quite get spending crazy money on records either. I've been an incessant collector since 1990, so I was lucky enough to buy most of the great stuff when it was new.
Yeah, the link to Salinas isn't working. Love to hear it, though!