Untold

Harmonic 313, Troubleman, NY Connection, Roberto Edwardo Turner, Reload, Link, Mystic Institute, Harmonic 33, Use of Weapons, Chaos & Julia Set, Series 7, Pulusha, Vertigo, Africa HiTech, 28 East Boyz, Shaft

Moderator: chuckcogan

mark p
Troubleman
Troubleman

Re: Untold

Post by mark p » Sun 07 Feb, 2010 11:42 pm

Sorry about that Darlo, i don't really check my inbox. Or if i do and dont answer it at that moment i forget.
Email is bad enough, i have a job keeping up with that. Anyway i have answered it now and also i got one from Chuck ages ago that i hadn't seen! Sorry.
Mark

mark p
Troubleman
Troubleman

Post by mark p » Mon 08 Feb, 2010 12:15 am

Ok. This stuff is just not for me.
I've tried on a good few occasions now but I'm just not getting it!
I'm sorry.

Thats all good, i just thought that as i know that your into House and techno ect, Untold has eko's of that music but in a new frame, his stuff also reminds me of the quirky ness of Early Plaid. Knocky Detroit basses and quirky sounds and vocal snips.

I will not slag off Dubstep any more as if nothing else over the last while, I've come to realize that's ok.
I am really looking forward however to the new Reload LP (I can't wait for that), and I really do love some of your Harmonic 33 stuff (and 313 too).'

Too be honest a lot of Dubstep is pretty boring. But i have found some interesting things even in the last year where it has been going through a explosion of hype. The usual thing really, scene gets attention and loads of people just copy other dubstep and it all sounds the same.
My fav producers in the scene are -
Mala
Coki
Loefah
Untold
Skream and Benga for the hype clubby stuff.
Ramadanman
Kode 9 - Did u hear his too far gone 12" its more like techno with a broken vibe to it.
Martyn - kind of has a housey/Detroit feel
Brackles
Aplleblim - Check track called Vansan kind of has ekos of Basic Channel.
Silkie - check track Purple love which he did with Mizz beats.

I actually really like uk grime as well, but thats a genre that is really hard to keep up on as a lot of it doesn't get a proper release. But i would rate someone like Wiley as a beat maker as one of my fav's from the last 10 years. I'm not a massive fan of many of the mc's but there are a few that i really like.
The Africa Hitech stuff i'm working on with Steve Spacek is kind of inspired by Grime and Techno in a way.

As for proper house music as it were and techno, I havent heard much that ive liked for a very long time.
House wise ive liked Moodyman and Theo Parrish and recently a guy called Floating points. Who is a guy from London, His new single Peoples potential gives me the feeling i used to get when i started to hear house music in the late 80s early 90s. Techno wise unfortunately next to nothing since the last few Drexicya 12"s on UR. And that was a long time ago. I did just hear a nice track from Lone called once in a while and Some stuff from a guy called Falty Dl that i was into, kind of House/Techno.

I just tend to exaggerate my dislikes, primarily to get some blood flowing around here from time to time, and I am really sorry I've pissed you off!
I promise I will try to improve on that and be more mellow.
:D

I think Blastik has a good understanding of what I'm like, even if we haven't met - he'll just tell me to shut it and that will be the end of it!
You should too!

Yeah i clocked that, its weird as if i do respond to you i run the risk of coming off all serious and lost in my ego. When i look at my posts i always wonder if i should post them.

I love the shit out of you man, I really do. You are my hero - along with Miditron too - you guys have rocked my little world in ways no woman on this fine Earth ever will, and that's pretty cool!

Glad to be of service haha Are you sure you have looked hard enough for the right women?

I guess I'm just an old fashioned Glesga Techno boy.

pehpeh

Post by pehpeh » Wed 10 Feb, 2010 10:56 am

How wonderful that Steve seems to know what's best. "I will stop slagging you off when you make some decent music again" attitude is very arrogant, but also offensive. Then saying "lighten up.." I would like to turn up at your place of work Steve and be as critical and then drop the "lighten up" style remarks and see how you liked that.

Whilst there may be some who like things to be left exactly as they expect them (shoes off at the door, no shocks please, always fish on a Thursday night..) there are others who delight in watching/listening musicians explore and diversify to alternative genres and styles. Without such diversification then now-popular forms of dance music (where Mark came from) simply would not exist.

I for one celebrate Mark's movement in to alternative styles. He is a producer who has always pushed the boundaries in whatever field he has chosen to write in, and in the last 10 years has produced more styles of music than any other producer about and always with unerring talent and accomplishment.

Music, whilst is subjective, it is also about moving forwards as are most of the arts I believe. If you don't move forwards you become stale and dull ala Massive Attack, Zero 7 etc....would anyone want that?

There are always times when your favourite producer/artist/band make you work that much harder to see the direction they are going in. Thanks to them for that, just when you thought you knew about something then a great artist can re-open your eyes to a style or culture you didn't know about yet. Sometimes you won't get it, but many more will. This is the ride, enjoy it, don't stifle the creativity.

Steve Sole
Akzinor
Akzinor

Post by Steve Sole » Thu 11 Feb, 2010 4:50 am

I've ten minutes, so I'd like to reply..

I think what's happened, is, and I GUESS a lot of other people my age who don't make music MAYBE kinda feel the same as I - I think we're pretty much grounded in the past. Rightly or wrongly, but I feel that's what's happened to me.
I grew-up with predominately 'underground' club music, and it had such a huge effect on me, I never really had to venture anywhere else.
The music I heard back then from the late 80's through the mid 90's really made my head what it is today.
I know a load of my mates feel the same, and we feel it's been virtually impossible to top what (and HOW) all that music came to fruition. Do you guys know what I mean?
I know Pritchard & Middleton were there - obviously, but I also don't think anyone would argue that, in particular dance music has ever really been matched since those early days.
How can you top experience like the first time you heard Acperience 1, or Star Dancer, or Eterna, or the first time you heard Basic Chanel records ever played on a HUGE sound system in pitch dark with only purple strobes going.
How can you beat the second time you ever heard Last Rythm after the first, and actually knowing how the tune went?
What about Rex Attitude, the Slam mix of Feet by The Sandals....the list will never be beat!

I equate it all to movies; how often has a sequel come along that beat the first - Terminator 2, Godfather 2 (maybe) or even Empire Strikes Back? That's the only three I can think off.
Are you getting my point?

I know fine well musicians like Mark Pritchard & Tom Middleton are striving to look for new ground, but I honestly don't think it lies with Dubstep/Grime - places where it's trying to.
Mark, I could point you in a direction of techno and house that's amasing just now, but you're right, it ain't blow you head off gear. But neither's all the other stuff.

Tom Middleton said something really true, he stated that there just weren't enough people really pushing the boundaries out just now - not by a long shot! There's some great music out there, but virtually none that really is setting the roadmap for the future, and certainly not coming close to what all those records listed above have achieved in their time, and for all time!
They're especially magic because they were the first; just like The Beatles, and pretty much everyone still involved in 'Dance Music' still recognises that fact.
Minimal's been and gone, Trance is on the way out the door (at last), and I do not know how long Dubstep and Grime and all the other versions out there will last. I can't answer that.

No matter who you are, you are gonna have a very tough job of pointing me in a different direction. Like millions of others out there, I was lucky enough to be dancing my arse off in seedy nightclubs just as all this music came out, and it's never, ever left me still. In fact, I just got a brand new pair of decks and a cracking mixer, and I'm slowly trying to re-build my collection back to where I would like.

I am pretty arrogant, but most of the time I'll spout my mouth off and tell you to suck my balls or some crap like that as I also love winding people up beyond belief. I think everybody around here pretty much knows that, and for the most time my heart is usually in the right place.
I like to think I'm a nice guy?

To conclude:
Send me to a record that will do the same thing to me as to what happened to me the first time I listened to Aphex's first ambient LP, or Isoprophlex, or GC's Blood Music cover, or Oxygen (or Equinoxe) or all the others out there that made me who I am today.
I get older and my time for tunes is getting less and less, so you better believe I'm on the lookout for only the very best out there. I'm still looking.

I'd like to end this shidt for now, Mr. Mark, if I may.
I'm an arse for flippantly spouting my mouth about music other people enjoy. I am sorry about that. Am I arrogant, only if you really don't know me. Do I know my music, yes i do! I've been blessed enough to only hear some of the best throughout my life, and no matter what you or Tom do, I will always love you both as you two have had the very biggest musical influence on me along with Jean Michel & Slam - you just have, and in a strange twist of fate, I guess you two are also partly responsible for making me the person I am today. There's a little bit of you in me, and that's phuqing awesome - for me, anyways :D

I will buy you a beer one day and tell all of this to your face as I'm much better at that.

Peas & Loaf
be a force for peace

Suz
Peschi
Peschi

Post by Suz » Sat 13 Feb, 2010 8:40 pm

Last edited by Suz on Thu 18 Feb, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darlo
Ehn
Ehn

Post by darlo » Tue 16 Feb, 2010 2:35 pm

I find the cheapest in cost way to find out about new music is via the number of podcasts that get published.Dirtyradio.org may be a place to start Steve.

Steve Sole
Akzinor
Akzinor

Post by Steve Sole » Tue 16 Feb, 2010 4:52 pm

Thanks very much Darlo. I'll give this a check later when I get home.
:D
be a force for peace

robertgraff

Post by robertgraff » Fri 19 Feb, 2010 10:23 pm

mark p wrote: As for proper house music as it were and techno, I havent heard much that ive liked for a very long time.
House wise ive liked Moodyman and Theo Parrish and recently a guy called Floating points. Who is a guy from London, His new single Peoples potential gives me the feeling i used to get when i started to hear house music in the late 80s early 90s.
I can second that; Floating Points is absolutely amazing, "Love Me Like This" was my favourite record of last year.

People's Potential is also excellent, you can check it out on my latest podcast (plugging over - sorry - shameless, I know).

..and thanks for that Untold recommendation; I'm just listening to the Boomkat clips right now - It's cool - pretty fresh!!