Dubstep dubstep dubstep!

Harmonic 313, Troubleman, NY Connection, Roberto Edwardo Turner, Reload, Link, Mystic Institute, Harmonic 33, Use of Weapons, Chaos & Julia Set, Series 7, Pulusha, Vertigo, Africa HiTech, 28 East Boyz, Shaft

Moderator: chuckcogan

shinypouch

Dubstep dubstep dubstep!

Post by shinypouch » Sun 13 Apr, 2008 11:27 am

I've been listening to dubstep for about 4 years now since hearing the early Tempa material and have been getting more and more into it ever since.

The genre clearly is having an influence on Mark's output and DJ'ing.

So, who is listening to it and what stands out?

Would love to hear some obscure recommendations.

Personally im really taken by the Pinch and Scuba albums and the labels Hotflush and Skull Disco.

Or maybe you hate it!! Certainly hope not!

thewalker
Mosh
Mosh

Re: Dubstep dubstep dubstep!

Post by thewalker » Sun 13 Apr, 2008 11:21 pm

yeah,

early tempa/horsepower was what hooked me, then Kode9/Burial really lifted the game, in my opinion.

im waiting for my scuba lp to arrive, next coupl of days i hope....

The absolute best, although it straddles a few other genres also, is TheBug. Both skeng (kode9 rmix) and PoisonDart are absolute monsters. TheBug fyi is Kevin Martin who compiled the rather fracking incredible Macro Dub Infection compilations:

http://www.discogs.com/release/115747
http://www.discogs.com/release/13820

Benga is firing, you cant play that album to anyone and not hear them humming b-lines for hours afterwards! it retains the tension required for great dubstep (kind of defines it imho) whilst adding some funky bounce, intricate drumwork too.

not too keen on the more 'wobble' end of the spectrum though (caspa etc...), it could easily go the way of jumpup d&b... which would be a shame. as it keeps building in popularity a lot of uninspired stuff is coming out, dubstep by numbers, I guess the same occurs in most genres.

lovin this at the moment:
http://www.discogs.com/release/1091129
vocal dubstep is a tricky beast, but this one nails it.

mark p
Troubleman
Troubleman

Post by mark p » Mon 14 Apr, 2008 5:25 pm

The thing i like about it is there are lots of different aspects to it, i like all of them from the jump up to the deeper stuff, they all have they're place.
For me I'm really feeling Benga and Skream for the more dance floor friendly stuff, you can't knock the odd Rusko or Caspa track some of them are killer.
For me Mala and Kode 9 are pushing the deeper end of things and keeping it forward thinking. I like Appleblim also. Coki all though people moan about him getting a vibe and then repeating it really kills me from time to time, there's 2 tracks I'm desperate to get one called Mental and one called Triple 6 which is next level shit. I like that Jakes 12" on hench also.
Yeah the Bug is well talented, look forward to hearing more from him. like his Dance hall also.
I Loved the first Burial album def a classic, I'm not into the new one as much I'm not sure why, i think its something to do with the vocal treatments, its still a amazing record just didn't connect with it as hard as the first, it could be solely just down to me not the record.
Like Distance and reso and some of the harder noisey stuff also.
If you haven't checked much i would recommend The Skreamizm's and benga's double pack on Big apple. Any of the Dmz's and Deep Medi music's are wicked, any Mala tune basically, He has one coming called Livin Different that is so deep.
I really liked the early Benny ill, Hatcha Oris jay sound that came up, i used to buy those 12's and found it more exiting than the broken beat stuff generally, out of the whole Broken beat era there was only a handful that i liked, tunes like This Ain't Tom and Jerry and Seiji's stuff and the Son of Scientist stuff basically the harder edged releases, you could play them together with some Tempa at that point. When the second wave came i was so excited to here some fresh new music coming out of the Uk again, and at that time i had not been hearing much new music coming out of the uk that was exciting me.
I'm lucky enough to be playing monthly here in Sydney at a Dubstep/grime night, usually get 2/300 people and the crowd are just there to get down, no trendy people, the system is good also. Which is important as you really need to hear it on a good sound then it really makes sense, the music needs to be felt, in the same way jungle did, sometimes the tracks are minimal but the bass is doing the work and has space to be massive.
There have been hater's to the Dubstep scene but you always get that, i don't give a tos$ same thing happens every time, when jungle came through and was probably the most interesting music to come out in years people were hating it and taking the piss out of me for playing it saying what are you playing that rave shit for. I haven't been buying as much over the last 4/5 months as last year but I'm still hearing amazing tracks, it will change and morph and get boring and then come back strong its all good. Im looking forward to checking a Dmz this year in leeds, just so happens i have a night off and I'm in Manchester the next night, I'm well excited.
I've also enjoyed playing sets of Dubstep into Jungle and then sometimes into some Rustie and flylo dilla ect, its all the same music to me.
Loefah has been unfortunately quiet check his Ruffage and Mud 12" that takes some beating, hope he gets his flow on again soon.

blastik
Mosh
Mosh

Post by blastik » Tue 15 Apr, 2008 1:34 am

I was going to mention how awesome the Benga album is, but Mark beat me to it. There's lots of great dubstep out there, and like it was mentioned before, it's definitely a type of music that is meant to be heard LOUD with a powerful sound system. New and improved jungle music, I've always thought. Appleblim and Shackleton are hot as well...

mark p
Troubleman
Troubleman

Post by mark p » Tue 15 Apr, 2008 6:12 am

With Burial i think it's interesting that with Archangel i think its amazing but at the same time it annoys me, that doesn't happen very often.
What i think it is for me personally is the vocal melody and lyric is Haunting and really moving, the track is also excellent, the vocal treatment reminds me of bad Rnb music but with reverb, which in itself is a interesting angle and as it reminds you of the nostalgia of hearing a track at a rave that has beautiful chords and strings with sped up vocals ect But i can't handle that auto tune rnb effect at all, it just equates to wrongness. When i first heard it i really couldn't listen to it, then i listened again and really felt the emotion in it but still couldn't get passed the effect, the thing is if you took the effect off it may not work at all. Quite mad that really, that's why i said in the past post its a personal reaction not the music. Maybe i should blame cher. :D

Steve Sole
Akzinor
Akzinor

Post by Steve Sole » Tue 15 Apr, 2008 5:57 pm

I found the first Burial album to be really hard to listen to. It left me feeling really, really sad. I don't know why - it just did! I think it's the basslines and the strings, and the vocals on it as well. It just makes me feel really sad. Maybe that's what it's meant to sound like, but it's the only Dubstep I've ever listened to. Is it all sad, or just Burial? In saying that, Archangel is amasing!
be a force for peace

shinypouch

Post by shinypouch » Tue 15 Apr, 2008 6:17 pm

Your reply has worried me in that i really dont know that much about the genre!! Now im going to have to track down all these tunes Mark.

I met Rustie the other week - couldnt believe how young he looked - couldnt believe how old i felt! Still, managed to "throw some shapes" in an alarming slo mo stylee!

Really looking forward to seeing you in Glasgow - what are your plans for the weekend? Will you be larging it at all?

blastik
Mosh
Mosh

Post by blastik » Tue 15 Apr, 2008 8:09 pm

I totally agree about the vocal treatments, it sounds like Madonna sometimes. Dubstep is really powerful with no vocals at all, but with the vocals it starts treading the line between cheese and quality. I always seek out the dub versions, needless to say. It's funny you mention the nostalgic qualities as I feel similar in that way. It brings me back to the early days where you stacked some speakers on top of each other in the middle of nowhere, and just felt the intense wall of sound that the bass and drums deliver from a scratchy old record. I guess it also makes me feel nostalgic for the simple reason that, obviously, there is the classic Dub style with the music. Dub was always about the bass and the drums, and making the sound as big and nasty as humanly possible. In that way it really takes me back to another time, but still maintaining the present ideals of tip-top production and slickness of sound which I also love. It's a way of having your pie (listening to a type of music that you've always loved) and eating it too (taking music to new areas).
I'd definitely recommend Benga to those of you who are uninitiated to the music. He's more dancefloor than a lot of dubstep, but he stills 'keeps it real'.

electric eliminators

Post by electric eliminators » Wed 16 Apr, 2008 9:39 am

Hello all, first post on here!

All you dubstep fans should note that mark will be playing at our fortified night in glasgow on 16th May @ the Art School, also on the bill are N-type vs Chef on 3 decks.

Also the next night (Sat 17th) Mark will be playing a longer set of whatever the hell he likes in the basement of twisted wheel on queen street.

more info/flyers to follow meantime check http://www.mypsace.com/theelectriceliminator for details

electric eliminators

Post by electric eliminators » Wed 16 Apr, 2008 10:00 am

Oh and about the second burial album, I didnt really feel it at first, the vocals sort of put me off too, but when I listened to it after a very heavy night out, it really clicked with me.

shinypouch

Post by shinypouch » Wed 16 Apr, 2008 5:07 pm

electric eliminators wrote:Oh and about the second burial album, I didnt really feel it at first, the vocals sort of put me off too, but when I listened to it after a very heavy night out, it really clicked with me.
Hello Eliminators!

Cant wait for this night - finally get to meet one of my true musical inspirations in life!

I might actually know a few of you - i used to work in Fopp on Byres Road - Murray!

Anyway, looking forward to both nights! See you down the front!

electric eliminators

Post by electric eliminators » Thu 17 Apr, 2008 11:04 am

Hey murray, name rings a bell, but i cant quite place a face to it, I know wee neil from straven who worked in there for years, aint seen him for an age though! My names Gordon btw. If your feeling the dubstep, and are in glasgow, then you may be interested in this this weekend!

Hope you can make it, its gonna be intense, as we are bringing the full mungos hi-fi rig in to the vic!!!

shinypouch

Post by shinypouch » Fri 18 Apr, 2008 8:53 pm

It was me that got Neil the job! Probably would recognise your face im sure! I was there for 9 long years!

Cant make Kode 9 unfortunately but i really hope it goes well - im sure it will be one to regret not going to!

Hopefully get to say hello at Mr Pritchard's nights!

dextrous

Post by dextrous » Thu 01 May, 2008 10:20 am

first post on here - the big chill forum is down ;)

I disagree with the posts regarding the vocal treatments on the burial album - it wouldnt be the same album without the vocals, thats kind of the whole point of the album for me - it brings back memories of going to raves or listening to some poorly recorded mix someone has copied you. id also say dub (as in dub reggae) is more about the space in the mix and the use of echo rather than just the bass and the drums. all in my opinion obviously, dont want to come across as a trroll straight off!

i like the variety of the scene at the moment, you can get your harder stuff, the more minimal stuff and the more ravey stuff, some i like more than others, but like mark said its just exciting to have some fresh new music coming out of the uk.

hasnt been mentioned on here yet but i can definitely recommend tes la rok and the "war ep" by matty g (i think)

Steve Sole
Akzinor
Akzinor

Post by Steve Sole » Thu 01 May, 2008 6:06 pm

Welcome aboard, matey :D!
I know absolutely nothing about the fine steps of dubs, but it's nice to see you today.

:)
be a force for peace