GC LIVE AT THE BRITISH LIBRARY, LONDON

Global Communication, Link & E621, Jedi Knights, Secret Ingredients, Chameleon, Reload (&E621)

Moderator: chuckcogan

high eight
Teq
Teq

Re: GC LIVE AT THE BRITISH LIBRARY, LONDON

Post by high eight » Sat 18 Jun, 2011 4:05 pm

Steve Sole wrote:I have to say, though, I'm a bit disappointed they don't seem to be playing anything else they've done apart from 76:14.
I've always felt a bit strange as they done this before - just playing a revised version of the lp. For me it's kind of dull as you know everything that's coming. And he last thing I'd like to hear is any of their stuff done with live orchestrations over it - ggrrrr!
Now if they threw in some of Blood Music or maybe some of their remixes, or dare I say it, some new material, then...
For the record, not only was last night's performance fantastic, we did get more than just 76:14 tracks. They also did Incidental Harmony, plus Epsilon Phase from Blood Music and finished the night with The Way. Hope I'm not spoiling it for anyone going to Sonar.

Visuals were great, venue was great (although they could've dimmed the house lights a but for more visual impact) and sound was spot on too.

Nice one Mark and Tom! Brilliant night!

cantosis

Post by cantosis » Sat 18 Jun, 2011 7:05 pm

high eight wrote:
Steve Sole wrote:I have to say, though, I'm a bit disappointed they don't seem to be playing anything else they've done apart from 76:14.
I've always felt a bit strange as they done this before - just playing a revised version of the lp. For me it's kind of dull as you know everything that's coming. And he last thing I'd like to hear is any of their stuff done with live orchestrations over it - ggrrrr!
Now if they threw in some of Blood Music or maybe some of their remixes, or dare I say it, some new material, then...
For the record, not only was last night's performance fantastic, we did get more than just 76:14 tracks. They also did Incidental Harmony, plus Epsilon Phase from Blood Music and finished the night with The Way. Hope I'm not spoiling it for anyone going to Sonar.

Visuals were great, venue was great (although they could've dimmed the house lights a but for more visual impact) and sound was spot on too.

Nice one Mark and Tom! Brilliant night!

Have to agree it was awesome, the set and the visuals especially at the start were superb. I was surprised how easy it was to get to t he front as I thought people would move closer when they started but they didnt.

I agree that it would have been even better with a bit of darkness and I would have liked a seat but hey cant have everything ;-). The only thing that got on my nerves a bit was the stupid people dressed as Aliens who kept prancing about near me at the front.

great night though, hope they do some more.

jedi4q2
Peschi
Peschi

Post by jedi4q2 » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 6:26 am

great vid of Ob selon mi nos at the Library gig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hr_79MKVeg

high eight
Teq
Teq

Post by high eight » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:50 am

Great vid! It was really heart warming to hear people cheering the moment the clock sound started, then again when Maiden Voyage started.

Yeah the 'performance artists' were a little annoying but there was a whole theme thing going on so I kinda overlooked that.

shinypouch

Post by shinypouch » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 8:44 am

Friday night really was quite something. Let's get the bad points out of the way first though.

Too bright a venue
Bar staff constantly chucking bottles in the bin downstairs throughout.
The really annoying performance artists who seemed to forget people were there to see GC, not them.

But let me finish on the good points.

The music was an utter joy to hear live. I've never had the opportunity to hear any of their tracks loud. It been 17 years since I bought 76:14 and for me it was quite emotional. It's my favourite album of all time and I've grown up with it. To also get Epsilon Phase and Incidental Harmony was quit an experience.

And then I got to dance to The Way live!

What a night. I sincerely hope they play more dates in the future.

If either Mark or Tom read this, thank you. It was a special evening.

discotechnological
Teq
Teq

Post by discotechnological » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 9:44 am

Obviously when I got the tickets for this it was only to see GC, but I really enjoyed the whole evening.
The exhibition itself was interesting - but it made me realise how many classic book I've still got to read. The support band (Radio Science Orchestra) did a little potted history of sci-fi, with theremins and an electric harp (and a regular one too), playing the Doctor Who theme and The Model. I've never really heard much of Rob Da Bank's Djing, but his set was good too - he played lots of 'spacey' stuff, Aphex, Moments of Love, Smokebelch etc., all in keeping with the night. Yes, the performance guys were a bit annoying, but the flyers did say, 'come in sci-fi costumes', so they really added to the overall feel of the night.

The boys themselves were amazing. At first, I thought they were just gonna literally play the whole album, but when Mark dropped that huge beat in the middle of Ob Selon Mi Nos I knew we were in for something different. That YouTube clip is great - I think I was standing right next to the cameraman - but it doesn't really capture the feel of that bass drum.

Maiden Voyage and Incidental Harmony were brilliant too, but I was so disappointed when Mark and Tom sheepishly came out for a bow after only about 45 minutes, such a short set. But then they went back to their little table a pumped out The Way for about 15 minutes! The crowd went crazy for it, everyone was dancing, you just couldn't not join in. Mark and Tom wound it down and cranked it up again so many times, and every time they dropped the kick drum back in, we were all throwing shapes and raving like it was 1999!

The Way is probably my all time favourite song and I've never actually heard it in a club before, and I certainly never expected to be dancing to it in the foyer of the British Library!

Awesome show, thanks a lot Mark and Tom!

Ancient
Peschi
Peschi

Post by Ancient » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 3:21 pm

Just saw them at SONAR Barcelona ; blown away better than I expected. Stuff from pentamerous metamorphosis for the ultra fans and plus marks for extra bits on stuff I knew already. Top stuff!!!!!!

Thanks a trillion times. :)))))

This was the concert I had hoped for ten years ago! :headbang: 8)
(it's a picture of Mrs Mills by the way)

hayhook
Ehn
Ehn

Post by hayhook » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 5:35 am

please oh please oh please come to the states!!!

dr_splian
Peschi
Peschi

Post by dr_splian » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 1:18 pm

Was a cracking night! I agree with the above negative comments - the bar staff ought to have been taken outside and flogged. SO disrespectful. But me and Mattbirdfootball were both blown away by the performance. I had not forgotten how awe-inspiring their music is, and how timeless too. I was also pleasantly surprised with the subtle differences in the tracks too (and the little live parts) as I had half expected it to be a repro of the album.

I was quite amused to turn round at one point to check out the crowd and saw loads of people towards the back just milling around and chatting like it as a tea party or something - very odd - but then I guess not everyone was there just for GC.

We even plucked up courage to go and speak to Mark afterwards, which was cool. (Apologies again to Matt for the blurry pic!)

Was a bit gutted we missed the first Jon Hopkins (we had a nightmare finding A) somewhere to park, and B) somewhere quick to eat before the show - there's never a Subway when you want one!

10 out of 10!

chuckcogan
Akzinor
Akzinor

Post by chuckcogan » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 11:13 pm

well im not jealous at all.....
im gonna stop readin now :evil:
peace & respect
// chuck cogan
-----------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/chuck-cogan

cantosis

Post by cantosis » Wed 22 Jun, 2011 11:02 pm

Im gonna check if there is any Sonar vids on youtube 8)

mattbirdfootball
Tebworth Massive

Post by mattbirdfootball » Thu 23 Jun, 2011 1:35 pm

Yeah, loved it, wicked night.
It was great to meet one of my musical hero's (Mark) afterwards. Prolly a good thing Mark had to go grab his stuff from the stage as I would have said something embarrasing no doubt!

chuckcogan
Akzinor
Akzinor

Post by chuckcogan » Thu 23 Jun, 2011 2:08 pm

here is a few more vids from the set:
http://www.youtube.com/user/steveimproper
peace & respect
// chuck cogan
http://soundcloud.com/chuck-cogan

hayhook
Ehn
Ehn

Post by hayhook » Mon 27 Jun, 2011 6:32 pm

Chuck
Thanks for sharing those.

yeah, seemed WAY too bright in there, and those "performance artists/dancers" were fail.

music and visuals EXQUISITE!

MARK! TOM! PLEASE COME TO NYC!!! :)

Upaka
Teq
Teq

Post by Upaka » Tue 26 Jul, 2011 12:05 am

A GC concert in New York would be very nice wouldn't it? I'd love to hear it in person, the sound quality on Youtube can't handle the dynamic range of this music at all.