Global Communication - Back in the Box (2011)

Global Communication, Link & E621, Jedi Knights, Secret Ingredients, Chameleon, Reload (&E621)

Moderator: chuckcogan

eltrut

Re: Global Communication - Back in the Box (2011)

Post by eltrut » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 9:39 pm

SO far I am loving it! I bought it through iTunes, though I think I should have bought it from Bleep.com
internationalist by default
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5mK7dzyUkM

hayhook
Ehn
Ehn

Post by hayhook » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 10:25 pm

Bleep's bundle comes with all songs unmixed (except for the two Link tracks and the re-pitch/edit Tom did of the Speedy J track (though the original is there) plus both cds mixed (as one long track each)

dextrous

Post by dextrous » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 10:31 pm

In the UK Bleep is £8.99 with the unmixed tracks and mixes as two continuous tracks

Itunes has the same for £6.99

edit: actually it appears that itunes has only 20 tracks, hmm odd

discotechnological
Teq
Teq

Post by discotechnological » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 10:54 pm

It seems that none of the versions have the Link tracks unmixed. Which is a bummer, as Link is one my favourites of Mark's aliases. Are they completely new tracks?

I've gone for the bleep option, but I'm gonna miss out the digital booklet thing

dextrous

Post by dextrous » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 10:58 pm

discotechnological wrote:It seems that none of the versions have the Link tracks unmixed. Which is a bummer, as Link is one my favourites of Mark's aliases. Are they completely new tracks?

I've gone for the bleep option, but I'm gonna miss out the digital booklet thing
Yeah, id say go for the bleep version as at least that has all the tunes on and you get the mixes.

dont know why itunes have missed out 14 or so tracks :shock:

My understanding is theyre new tracks (which hopefully are being saved for a new reload release)

blastik
Mosh
Mosh

Post by blastik » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 1:25 am

Well, this is confusing.
I noticed the iTunes version has far less tracks, and the Bleep version seems to have them all, but when I check the Discogs entry I see a Middleton mix of the Speedy J track that's not on the Bleep version. Plus the tracks are in a different order. Hayhook, you're saying the Middleton edit is only on the mixed version?

For what it's worth, I just checked Amazon, and there are two distinct physical CD versions, one mixed, one unmixed, if anyone is interested.

hayhook
Ehn
Ehn

Post by hayhook » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 5:45 am

Well, the two link "tracks" are just "links" within the mixes

the first "Intro (the labels)" a list of the labels represented on the mixes in various vocodered voices
the second "places of origin" a list of the cities/countries or origin of the music on the mixes
neither are "songs" per se...

the speedy J song "de-orbit" is on the unmixed, just not the TM repitch/edit which is in the mix (which I think is delineated as a repitch, as it is just a slightly faster/sped up version to beat match with the rest of the mix...)

yeah bummed no digital booklet, but I suspect that may surface (here in this thread maybe?) if that is allowed?

all the tracks on the mix (and unmixed) are from 88-93 nothing new here for future releases to cover.

hopefully more in the pipeline is coming from GC #crossesfingers

hayhook
Ehn
Ehn

Post by hayhook » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 5:51 am

http://www.ibiza-voice.com/story/news/3212

"If the tracklist doesn't immediately set your pulse racing then it's time to educate yourself and take a trip into a world of techno and electronica, where emotion and technical prowess, aligned to a harmonious balance of eclecticism, make everything seem, on the one hand nostalgic, and on the other, very much at the cutting edge. Global Communication are back after a fifteen year break, and to celebrate they're going to remind us why they were so important in the first place.

Maybe they really never got the attention they thought they deserved and it's simply a case of unfinished business, or their versatility and reluctance to be pigeonholed has finally succumbed to entropy. Anyway, asking Tom Middleton and Mark Pritchard, aka Global Communication, to select tracks for NRK's 'Back In The Box' series was inspired; the series being one that lets it's selectors run riot in their crates was always a good concept and one that fits GC like a glove. Not having properly produced or played together since the mid-nineties may have paradoxically been a huge advantage in track selection, not that I'm suggesting they simply put together a set inspired by the last time they did a gig, you understand, but the spirit of the age may have somehow remained fresh within them and setting it free after having bottled it up for so long was only ever going to be a good thing.

Now to the music. Disc one and disc two follow a relatively accepted path. The first is the more uptempo of the two, the latter concentrating on the more ambient side of things. Throughout the length of the collection, familiar beats float in and out of one's consciousness; listening to it I was instantly reminded of raves gone by without being able to always put my finger on what exactly it was I was listening to. Detroit opens the proceedings and without wanting to sound too much like a blatant nostalgist, the music from the likes of Fade ll Black, Derrick May, in collaboration with Steve Hillage's System Seven, BFC/Carl Craig, etc still sounds incredibly fresh and transcendental. I suppose we're living at a period in the evolution of dance music when reinvention has never been so hip, and, although the process is continually self-perpetuating, it's rarely been as exciting as now. Moving swiftly on, disc one peaks when it gets a little bit melodically hardcore. However, after 'Number 9 Bad Acid' from DHS seques into Speedy J's 'De-Orbit' we're riding the panpipes back to base with Balil leading the way, bridging the gap onto disc two.

Although the more relaxed of the two halves, and arguably the deeper, there's no let up in the musics magnitude. Again, Detroit makes more than a cameo appearance. Yennek, aka Kenny Larkin, remixed by Carl Craig, Never On A Sunday, aka Octave One, the recently rereleased Reel By Real, Urban Tribe and Juan Atkins all feature. Listening to this mix is like being on a techno version of the Hollywood Walk Of Fame, but it's not just about the originators. Their UK peers in the shape of As One, aka Kirk DeGiorgio, 808 State, Balil, Stasis and The Aphex Twin all distinguish themselves as well. The mix comes to a halt with Global Communication themselves contributing a cut, and Mixmaster Morris reshaping Sven Vath.

I listened to this mix a lot before writing this review, but in many ways that didn't matter. Ever since I started listening to electronic music in earnest, sounds like those on display here have always been in my mind and, although they rise to the surface from time to time in all sorts of places, experiencing that strange feeling of deja vu has rarely felt as pleasurable as now. 'Back In The Box Mixed By Global Communication' works on many levels, some you are conscious of, others not and, without wanting to sound too pompous, listening to it is an education."

hayhook
Ehn
Ehn

Post by hayhook » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 5:58 am

gkanai
Teq
Teq

Post by gkanai » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 8:14 am

hayhook
Ehn
Ehn

Post by hayhook » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 2:28 pm

beta beatport invite code please :)